January 19th, 2019
Andover Public Library is hosting the 1st Annual Snow Sculpture Competition to allow community members to put their creativity to the test as they compete to build the ultimate snow sculpture. All ages are invited to participate. Groups with participants 13 and younger must have at least one adult aged 18 or older in the group. Maximum of 6 people per group. Sculptures should represent the “Inspiration at the Library” theme.
The sculptures can be anything from snowmen to forts, or even ice sculptures, as long as they do not portray obscene images. Remember this is a family friendly event. Contestants will have three hours to build their sculpture. The sculptures will be judged at 1 PM the same day. In the event that we do not have snow (or enough snow) to hold the competition, the Andover Public Library will provide indoor/outdoor “snow” activities.
1. Each team can have a maximum of 6 participants. This is an all-ages event, but teams with participants
under the age of 13, must have at least one adult (18 or older) in their group.
2. A completed entry form must be submitted to the Andover Public Library by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, January 16. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
3. The entry form will state what you are building.
4. Each sculpture must have at least one team member present at their statue at the time of judging.
5. Teams can use anything to create their sculpture. The Andover Public Library will not be providing anything. The sculptures can be any height, width, or length as long as there is no vandalism of property. Sculptures may only be built on the garden lawn area. No sculptures permitted in the parking lot or on sidewalks. The Andover Public Library has the right to disqualify any sculpture that portrays obscene images and is at the discretion of the Andover Public Library director and/or staff.
6. People cannot be a part of the sculpture, but props and any other material can be used to add to the sculpture. The sculpture should be mainly built out of snow. Failure to comply with this rule may result in disqualification.
7. The building can begin at 10 a.m. on Saturday, January 19. Building and construction can occur anytime before 1 p.m. that same day.
8. Sculptures will be judged on the following criteria: creativity, effort, correlation to the “Inspiration at the Library” theme, and detail/appearance. All judges’ decisions are final.
9. Winning team members will receive a special award and prize.
Snow Sculpture Competition Judging Criteria:
Sculptures will be judged based on creativity, appearance, and use of a theme. Profane or obscene sculptures are not permitted and will be disqualified and destroyed.
Creativity (0 –10 points)
• Does the final product convey an original idea?
• Does the final product utilize materials effectively/creatively?
Use of Theme (0 – 10 points)
• Does the group incorporate the “Inspiration at the Library” theme in a way that makes sense?
Detail/Appearance (0 -10 points)
• Is the final product neat?
• Does the final product include details that help make it more appealing?
Effort (0 – 10 points)
• Does there appear to be a considerate amount of time put into building the sculpture?
• How complex is the sculpture?